Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Kid obsession and the things kids say

So I've been thinking a lot lately about whether or not I'm obsessed with my kids. You know, moms always get accused of this, and how we never talk about anything else. I consider myself of at least average intelligence and I think I'm educated and semi-worldly enough to have opinions about most major issues, and the gumption to discuss those issues. But do I talk about my kids too much? Do I bore people? Ok, this blog doesn't count because duh, it's about my kids.

I admit I have been dosed with an extra strong case of mommy guilt. I very rarely leave my kids' sides when I'm not working. They go everywhere I have to go with me when I'm not working, and I've only spent 8 nights away from them (that I can count) since they were born, all with a grandparent or Daddy. And no more than 2 consecutive nights. So, my life pretty much consists of work, which is boring and no one wants to hear about, and home. I'm worried that I'm too boring to talk about anything else. Hm. I do find myself stopping from sharing stories sometimes (unless it's to another mommy and we're swapping stories) because I don't want people to think I talk too much about them. Am I the only one who feels this way? Am I really this boring now, or obsessive? So here's an apology to all those I've bored with too many stories.

Now, to completely counteract my previous paragraphs, kid related stuff...Am I the only one who gets great joy out of making my kids say certain things? I have even recorded some of their utter cuteness with my MP3 player and if I knew how to post it, i so would. Ethan especially has some unique terms for stuff, including his pronunciation of motorcycle (mokercycle- no clue where the K comes from) and yellow (lellow). Plus, he is now constantly saying "Knock. It. Off." (mostly to Emma of course) and he periodically calls his daddy Michael. Or as he says it with his Boone County roots accent, Miiiiii-chael. Or, of course, there is how he says another- "anunny". "Mommy, can I have anunny juice?" And he says "I luuzzz you" which I just melt over of course. So I make him say all this stuff all the time just to hear it.

I make Emma say certain things too, like baby chinchilla (chinchiiiiwwwah) from their Diego stickers, and she now calls boogers "reg-wah" (regular) boogers because she distinguishes them from sleepy boogers, or as more civilized people call them, eye boogers. Emma sticks with "I wuv you" but she now also refers to me as Emma's mommy instead of just Mommy.

One note on Harry Potter, since I'm obsessed. LOVED IT. And I've taught the kids who Dumbledore, Harry, Snape ("Nape") and Sirius are from the different covers. But it's sad when your kid says "Mommy, close the book" after it arrived on Saturday.

3 comments:

Susie PSU said...

ok, When you post the same thing three times, you're obsessed. :-)

Jonathan's Mommy said...

Hysterical comment--if you did that on purpose, even funnier!

I also suspect I am kid obsessed and I think it's totally OK. I mean, we have awesome kids, so why not? :)

Jonathan also says lellow, which I adore. He doesn't really say I love you in any form yet, but if he says it like either of your children do, I will be thrilled!

Kimberly said...

I love hearing about the twinks! And everything you tell me I file away and use it as a bench mark with Sophie. Like "E&E were old enough for Kings Island at 25 months." And... they are FUNNY!

But I would think that you would be in the funny farm not having spent more than 2 nights away from them!

 
Free blog template and graphic design by Design Eleven. Copyright 2008 and beyond.