Thursday, August 9, 2007

Thoughtful post...or "Why I felt I had to leave firm life"

All you working mommies should read this blog...

http://punditmom1.blogspot.com/2007/08/do-caretakers-receive-disparate.html

Don't forget to read the comments...many insightful thoughts on how working moms get screwed and the workforce loses many good accountants, lawyers, doctors, managers, business women, etc. because of attitudes like this. Sadly I know from my own experience it's very true. Either you're willing to ditch your kids whenever necessary to attend that Bar function, happy hour, etc. to make the "right" contacts or you will not be as successful as you should be.

Any question as to why I took a pay cut to take an 8-4 job? I shouldn't HAVE to choose between taking less money and doing a job that doesn't, let's say, fully maximize my potential, and doing a job that does maximize my potential, but I do...

1 comment:

Jonathan's Mommy said...

I read that the other day and it is all too true. I feel pretty fortunate that it is not really an issue at my office, but I know it is at pretty much every other law firm in the city.

I think your new job sounds awesome and I'm happy to hear that it appears to be working out so far. You are right, though, that it is completely unacceptable that we should have to pick between career advancement and time with our children. Men don't have to do that.

 
Free blog template and graphic design by Design Eleven. Copyright 2008 and beyond.