Monday, October 29, 2007

Being poor makes you crafty...


As most of you know, I took a new job a few months ago, and in the process took a pay cut. Not a hugely significant enough one, but enough that I had to cut out most unnecessary spending. It's a balance, I have retained a bit of sanity for a while, but I'm broke. However, my daughter is a complete diva, and longs to be a ballet dancer. Since I can't justify lessons for a two year old, I started searching the 'net for ballet themed stuff. Enter, THE TUTU. Now, I know that Princess Emma Ballerina would die for one. But people making these jewels charge $20 or MORE. So I started thinking, tulle cheap at the Wal-mart. Elastic is super cheap. Mommy has some sanity left in the evenings to actually be creative. And VOILA, Princess Emma Tutus was born. (Ok, so that's the dream name of my tutu company if I could actually sell these things). This is my first attempt, pink and green sparkle tulle. She hasn't modeled it yet since I can't give her something without giving Ethan something, so it will probably be a Christmas present. But I'm pretty proud of it. The next one will be pink, green, yellow, electric blue and purple, and I'm think of making it long and probably poofier. This one is about 12 inches long and uses almost 2 yards of tulle.

Are you totally impressed yet? Yeah, I didn't think so. But I'm proud of it. Maybe next year I'll set up a booth at the Pumpkin Festival....Princess Emma Tutus goes regional!


5 comments:

Kimberly said...

Too late. I already have a patent pending from last year on my "Tu-Tu Cute Tutus". See here
Ultimate puffiness requires 6 yards. Wanna go into business. HAHA!

Jonathan's Mommy said...

I think it's awesome! Way to go and love the colors!!

Paula said...

i think it looks great. i too am trying to make some gifts this year...we will see how it goes

Neurotic Atty said...

Very nice indeed. What's MOST impressive is that you managed to make this tutu without a certain Princess Emma Ballerina CATCHING you!

Anonymous said...

I am totally impressed and if Will or Baby Boy B (new baby) were girl's I would buy one from you. I certainly didn't know you had it in ya! Imagine that it's pink and green! What about a blue and gold one? I can't belive you didn't think of that one yet! :)

Amanda Lea

 
Free blog template and graphic design by Design Eleven. Copyright 2008 and beyond.