Thursday, November 29, 2007

The eyes don't have it...

The ability to straighten completely on their own, that is. The verdict is surgery, and the sooner the better. It's a long drawn out explanation that basically comes down to "if you don't use it you lose it." Basically she's not using her right eye when she doesn't have her left eye patched, and she'll continue to lose sight in it unless the muscles are snipped and basically rearranged. It's a whole deal with too tight and too loose muscles and lack of a change in her refraction. See, you don't really want the whole explanation, right?

The good news is that the patching has restored some of the vision in her right eye, so there is hope that after the surgery, her vision could return to perfect since she's so young.

So, we will be undergoing surgery as soon as I hear back from the pediatrician with her recommendation. Maybe as soon as Christmas. I'll keep everyone updated.

On a side note, we will not be going to New Orleans this year for the National Championship game and I could not be more crushed. But circumstances have arisen that make it impossible and irresponsible. It sucks being a responsible adult. I don't get how people who make way less than we do can afford to go, but maybe some of these people are like some of my husband's family, who choose to forego paying their bills so they can buy a Playstation or something.

Oh well, Let's go Eers!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Andrea - I will keep you all in my prayers! Keep us updated on Emma's surgery. Who will be doing it? Will's b-day party will be at the church on Dec. 15 at 6:00 - I will send you an evite!!


Amanda Lea

Paula said...

i will keep emma in our prayers. i hope that everything turns out right.
as for NO...i understand. mark is wanting to go so badly but we really do not have the money. it is hard to keep telling him that we can't afford it as he is watching all his buddies charge it right up on the credit cards....hard being responsible..

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that Emma will need surgery, but I am glad that they are predicting improvement for her vision. I'll be praying for you all.

I also agree that responsibility really stinks. But it is hard to justify going to the game when our kid isnt paid for yet:)

Carrie

Anonymous said...

I will definitely keep Emma in my prayers. It's great that they think her vision will be completely restored though! I bet she will be happy with no more glasses.

Being an adult does suck. All you do is work and pay the bills b/c there's never any money or time to have fun!

Let's Go Mountaineers!

Wendy

Kimberly said...

Oh no....I'm so sorry that Emma is going to have to go through surgery. One good thing is that she is young and you can't hardly keep kids down.

Katie said...

I hate that Emma has to go through this, but I'm sure things will be better for her after the surgery. Maybe when she recovers from surgery baby Jordan can come for a visit.
Of course Emma will be in our thoughts.

Katie

Neurotic Atty said...

I'm so sorry that Emma has to have the surgery. I'm sure she'll be a big brave girl for her momma, though.

I'm sorry you can't go to NO, too. If it makes you feel better, I will be watching it on TV as well. :(

Jonathan's Mommy said...

I'm sorry to hear that surgery is what you're going to have to do, but it sounds like the prognosis is good, so perhaps best to get it over early! I'll keep you in our thoughts!

As for NO, I totally understand. It's frustrating to be responsible but it's the best, really, in the long run!

Susie PSU said...

If surgery is for the best, then DO IT!! We'll keep her in our prayers. It sucks that you can't get new eyes, huh? Mine are so bad...

My husband realized tonight that he isn't going to the Alamo Bowl, either. I'm happy to say he researched the plane tickets and came to the correct conclusion all by himself, but he is still bummed.
:-)

 
Free blog template and graphic design by Design Eleven. Copyright 2008 and beyond.