Friday, September 28, 2007

It's a sickness...

First, if you don't like football, this blog will bore you.

For those of you who don't know me personally, I am a Rabid WVU fan. And Rabid is in fact capitalized when speaking of my fandom. I am working to turn my children as rabid as I am. Let me explain exactly how Rabid I am...I'm not just that chick who thinks it's cute to go to games, drink some beer and wear a cute little blue and gold shirt. No, I'm that chick who shocks guys because I can explain exactly why the ACC is a pathetic excuse for a BCS conference, why the Big East should get more football credibility, and tell you the first and last names of at least 20 WVU players, including position. I am no expert when it comes to plays, I don't know a slant pass from a bubble screen, but I know when someone misses a block and when the idiot refs miss yet another holding call. My sister's boyfriend, upon first meeting me and hearing a long discussion she and I were having about college sports, actually said to me, "You're a girl. You're not supposed to know this stuff." But we're out there, loud and proud (right Lara and Wendy??) And I dislike some teams with the fire of 10,000 suns, including Pitt and Notre Dame, even though they're pathetic this year. And I dislike another team but it's not PC anymore to not like them, so I won't even mention it. But they're still #1 on my hatred list.

So, imagine my dismay, when a few weeks ago, on the day of a game that shouldn't even be played (thanks Manchin for giving us more crap on our strength of schedule), I have my kids all dressed up in their Mountaineer best, out early shopping at Kroger so we get back in time for the ridiculously early kickoff, and some woman (NOT a lady) comes up to them and says first to me, oh, they're so cute. Then leans over them, right in their face, and says, "You kids need to learn this: GO HERD." I gave her an icy glare and told her, "They know better." Argh. Seeing as how my dear husband is a pretend MU fan, I knew he'd hold me back had I chosen to deck her, so I refrained. Those of you who have seen me at games know this was a feat.

I'd like to see that woman again as we set at 4-0 (5-0 after tonight's thumping of the Bulls), and they are 0-4, including a loss to a I-AA team. Victory is sweet.

And so, I'm loud and proud, a born and bred 3rd generation WVU fan. I believe, boys. I know we can go all the way. Make a statement tonight in Florida. I'll be on the first flight to New Orleans to the national championship if I have to prostitute myself to get there.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's not really a sickness...it's a special gift given only to those who truly bleed BLUE AND GOLD. Those fans who get tears in their eyes when they hear Country Roads and truly know what it means to be a Mountaineer. I'm with you sister!

Wendy

Jonathan's Mommy said...

I think it's AWESOME that you love WVU that much! And I can totally be OK with your rabidness for a program that is sure to completely stomp my beloved Cards in just a few short weeks because WVU deserves to have a great season.

Kimberly said...

I would have told that woman that your children aren't idiots and were born with a brain. Either that...or I would have totally laughed in her face!

Kimberly said...

And I'll say it....SCREW VT!

supermommysquared said...

:( Call me if you need to vent. Poor 'eers. I may not understand, but I can listen.

Paula said...

oh the sadness we feel in our house after last night....but speaking of mountaineer pride..i don't know if mark would admit this, but the first game we took lydia to, he cried when he walked her into the stadium and cried when the band was doing the pre-game show...he was so excited to take her...

 
Free blog template and graphic design by Design Eleven. Copyright 2008 and beyond.