Thursday, May 31, 2007

More tales from Twinkie Land

Ok, no pictures because I had a stressful night. I decided to redecorate the kids' room and remove the suns, moons, and stars that I painstakingly painted and hung (stop laughing, I really did!!). We've replaced it with Dora and Diego, complete with a bed ensemble. Well, we still had the cribs together, and I decided to take down the front of the crib which makes it a toddler daybed, but of course we needed siderails or I'm pretty sure my kids would never sleep, they'd just run around all night. Unfortunately those danged siderails you buy are made for twin, full or queen beds, not toddler sized. Now, first off, that makes NO sense. Who is more likely to need siderails? DUH, a toddler. So we had to geri rig the siderails because the toddler mattress was not heavy enough to keep the rails on. This took no less than an hour. No joke. Michael and I were sweating bullets, the kids were getting cranky, and kept trying to "help." Side note- it's hard to be angry at a toddler who is saying, "Mommy, I help you" but after the 238948 offer to "help" and two toddlers attempting their version of helping, I was about to go over the edge. That's when I tripped over the ottoman and I'm pretty sure broke a toe, or at least stoved one pretty good. Good times, and very helpful on my 1/2 mile trek from the parking lot to my office.

So, the beds go up, and the kids think they are hot stuff. Til they figure out they can get out. I'm sitting in my bedroom on the bed, lights off, trying to calm down after the room catastrophe, and decide for some stupid reason to watch Ghost Hunters in the dark. Well, I'm getting all into it, and I see a little body streak past my door. It about scared the bejeebers out of me til I realized it was Ethan making a jail break. At that time I decided it was appropriate to have a little discussion with Stinker Butt 1 and 2 and tell them that we stay in our beds. Then I gated their little patooties in the room. Yep, gated em in. It worked, they stayed in their beds and went to sleep.

So, for all the rest of you mommies out there, some tips:

1. Find rails that are supposed to go on toddler beds if that's what you have. I'm assuming they make these but they only had one kind at Toys R Us, and they're not the kind for toddler beds.

2. Rearrange and assemble the rails while your kids are somewhere far far away.

3. Do not attempt any of this within 2 hours of bedtime.

4. Move any ottomans or other potential toe breakers out of the room.

5. Have a glass of wine prior to beginning this journey. Better yet, have a bottle. It would have greatly improved my mood.

4 comments:

Paula said...

that is exactly how my friend miranda keeps braylon in his room, gate him in. he just moved to his big boy bed last week.

supermommysquared said...

I plan on gating Hailey as well. I applaud you for taking this step and thank you for the advice. I am in no hurry. Do you think Hailey can stay in the crib until puberty...we are short, so she probably won't get too long until then :)

Kimberly said...

I'm thinking that the lack of side rails was a problem with Baby Phases. My convertible crib came with the side rail for the day bed. STrange...but still a funny story!!

Neurotic Atty said...

I would've peed my pants if I had seen someone run past my door in the middle of Ghost Hunters!!! Anyway, sorry about your toe. I'll hook you up with a better parking pass this summer while I'm off.

 
Free blog template and graphic design by Design Eleven. Copyright 2008 and beyond.