Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Serious mommy wars

Ok, I read this article today and had to share. This is so sad. I cannot imagine my own self worth being wrapped up in how much a group of mothers who I don’t even know like me, and my kid getting into the “cool” preschool or kindergarten. Or my worth being wrapped up in my husband’s job and our “family status.” The saddest part to me is, although this is a story of Japanese mothers, I have MET these types right here in good old America, right in West By God Virginia. But I’m sure it’s worse elsewhere…

http://lifestyle.msn.com/mindbodyandsoul/womenintheworld/articlemc.aspx?cp-documentid=4799097

3 comments:

supermommysquared said...

Ok that just seriously freaks me out. And I thought I was under stress.

Janice said...

What a sad article. I undersatnd the lonliness some mothers go through especially now that I am nowt working. But I didn't think women would actually go into extremes and commit murder!

I was just at the park with Cameron the other day and noticed several groups of moms. One particular group I see everytime I'm out somewhere, and I don't go out much. But I wonder if they have anything else to do besides hang out with each other. Makes me wonder if they're like those Japanese women in the srticle.

Jonathan's Mommy said...

I am completely horrified at that article! And yet I can see where some of the sentiments contained therein are coming from. Jonathan will be 22 months tomorrow and there is already discussion among parents in his TODDLER class as to where said toddlers will go to kindergarten. Apparently, things have changed so much from my upbringing, that if I don't pay $10,000 a year for him to go to kindergarten, he will be a complete and utter failure in life. And I only have three more years to make this happen?

I think that what this woman did is completely aphrensible, but it is a much needed reminder that the mommy culture can get completely out of control!! I am so happy that I have mommy friends, like most of you guys, who are realistic people whe are not like those playgeround mommy cliques!! They are out there and it is frightening!!

 
Free blog template and graphic design by Design Eleven. Copyright 2008 and beyond.