Tuesday, March 13, 2007

FRUSTRATED

I am having a stressful afternoon and I am blogging about it. I am so upset right now that it is so gorgeous outside, my kids will soon be waking from their nap, and I’m stuck in a windowless office typing on a stinking computer rather than preparing to go outside with them. Argh. If I could just take ONE DAY OFF without it being the end of the stinking world I would love that. One day. The earth will not stop spinning on its axis, the judicial system will not collapse. Oh how I miss my old bosses who wouldn’t freak out if you decide to cut out early one day every 3 months or so. But that’s a sordid tale for another blog. If only I could convince Mike and Cheryl to start their own firm…

I know the gut reaction from some people (I’ve heard it repeatedly) is just quit working. I wish it were that easy. I wish I didn’t have a mortgage and student loans and a car payment and credit card debt and a need for health insurance. However, none of this goes away if I quit working. I still owe almost $49,000 in student loans that are there forever until I pay them. I still have a house payment and utilities every month. I can’t just downsize my car since I owe too much on it. I have to have health insurance and since mine is free when I work, and my kids are about $300 cheaper through my work than Michael’s, I have to work. People who think all working moms are selfish evil wenches who work because they want to just don’t get it. Who is supposed to pay all of those bills? Granted, Michael makes good money but double every bill he has and we are broke. I have estimated that per month it would cost Michael an extra $3000 to support the whole family, because he’d have to pick up our insurance which I currently pay, my car payment, the entire mortgage, utilities and other bills, my loan payment and my credit card bills.

If anyone knows of a job out there where I can work less than 60 hours per week and have medical coverage, please call me! Bonus if you actually can take a day off without donating a limb.

3 comments:

Anne said...

I share your frustration... sometimes, I wonder how things would be like if I had decided to not come back to work from maternity leave. Theoretically, my husband can cover all our expenses, but we would just be BARELY getting by and I'm not comfortable with that.. especially since we're trying to save money for our move back to California (which I'm sure everyone's aware - the cost of living there is multiplied compared to here in WV). So I CHOSE to go back to work and I don't regret that one bit, even if people think I'm a witch for it. We all have to do what we have to do... I AM blessed with a boss that understands when I have to take a day off because Ethan's sick, etc. But keep your head up... "everything happens for a reason" is what I always tell myself when I get frustrated.

Amanda Lea said...

1 word - TEACHER! I sneak out early sometimes and they don't even know I'm gone. :) What they don't know won't hurt 'em!

Kimberly said...

Seriously, maybe you need to change the whole entire way that you deal with this man. Maybe instead of "asking" to leave early you just go to him and say "I'm leaving early." Period. If he gets huffy that's too damn bad. Not your problem. You are a good worker...it's not like you are slacking off to go play. You are an adult and a lawyer. Last I checked we don't punch time clocks.
I'm still keeping my ears open for you...I just wish that we would hire someone else!

 
Free blog template and graphic design by Design Eleven. Copyright 2008 and beyond.