Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Non-toys and birthday dilemma

What is it about non-toy items that make them so much more fun than the gazillion toys in my house? I just don’t get it. We now keep all of the diaper boxes because those are the greatest toys ever. However, what is so fascinating about laundry baskets, unused trash cans and step stools? I’ll never understand it but I’m no longer shopping in the toy section; I’m going straight to housewares for the great Twinkies Turn Two birthday.

My kids are now into playing King of the Mountain on the step stool I purchased so they can reach the sink to wash their hands and brush their teeth. It inevitably ends up in tears though as one pushes the other one too many times. Last night Emma was standing on it and Ethan was systematically dismantling the kitchen trash can lid, and she looks over at me and starts telling me to sit down, and pointing her little finger down like I do when I tell her to sit down. I asked her if she was the mommy now and she said yes, so I told her that was great and she needed to get a job to pay for her own diapers. I’ll let you know how that works out.

The current great debate in my house is to have a birthday party or not to have a birthday party. Now, I spent too much money on last year’s party, even though I think the twins’ party will pale in comparison to Miss Sophie B’s upcoming extravaganza which rumor has it will feature a 2 tiered birthday cake. I don’t want to have those kids who have a party every single year and make all the other mommies think they need to get gifts each year, but they’re not old enough for Billy Bob’s or Chuck E. Cheese yet, so I’m stuck. Only family or invite some little friends? I can’t decide.

Anywho, I’ll see some of you at the party this weekend!

3 comments:

Kimberly said...

Write it down now so you can shove it in my face next year...NO PARTY NEXT YEAR!!! But we would DEFINITELY come to the twinkies party this year! At least for you it is a little warmer you could maybe have a "park party."
Everyone is giving me a hard time about this 2 tiered cake but seriously...is it any different than a ginormous sheet cake? It's just stacked on top!

Amanda Lea said...

I say birthday party - I agree you should do a park party at the park in Hurricane. You could do it in the barn there and have a barnyard theme. Will was at a party a few weeks ago and the little girl had a princess castle cake (made by my sister-in-law) and you had to walk through a castle like thing to get to it. There was also a $300 blow up castle for the kids to play in. (I saw the bill) :) Can you say OVER THE TOP??? It was fun though....more power to the mommy...I'm not that creative...you were at Will's party - simple and easy and I think the kids had fun!

supermommysquared said...

PARTY!! I am being selfish, but the kids need to get together and I think it would be fun. I like the outside idea, and your yard is nice for a small thing. Just get some easy fence stuff to block the road :)

 
Free blog template and graphic design by Design Eleven. Copyright 2008 and beyond.