Monday, March 26, 2007

I could not ask for more...

“These are the moments, I know heaven must exist…
These are the moments I know all I need is this…
I have all I’ve waited for, and I could not ask for more.” - Edwin McCain

We all have those moments in our lives, you know the ones. The ones you can replay in your mind, almost like they’re tape recorded there. When you’re having a bad day, you can go to those moments and feel almost as good as you felt at the time. I have several of those big moments: the day I found out I got a full scholarship to college, the day I got into law school (ok, so that’s not such a great one in retrospect but it was great at the time), walking down the aisle at my wedding, hearing my babies’ heartbeats, the moment I first saw each baby being held up over the screen in the operating room.

Then there are the little moments, those every day ones that just seem to stick with you. I remember so specifically holding my Minnie’s (grandmother’s) hand while walking when I must’ve been only 1 or 2. I remember getting up to bat in a game when we were down by a run, 2 outs, and our last at bat. I didn’t think I would get a hit, I knew it, and I did. Double to the right field gap. I remember dancing my first solo in a dance recital when I was 12.

This weekend I had one of those little moments that I will treasure forever. We were all playing outside and it was a beautiful spring day. You know the kind of day, the one that greater writers than me write poetry about. Ethan was giggling in his swing as Daddy pushed him higher and higher. Emma and I were rolling around in the grass looking for flowers. As I playfully tackled her and we rolled to the side, I looked at her little face and saw such innocent joy that it took my breath away. I will have that image and the sound of her laughter, intertwined with that of her brother’s, in my mind forever. It was one of those moments that cements itself into you, and that no one can take away. Even as I sit here now the beauty of it all brings tears to my eyes. I want every moment in their lives to be like that. If I could give them one thing, it would be as many moments like that as one lifetime can allow.

Forget all the other things I want to instill in my children- dedication, loyalty, a strong will, kindness, compassion, love, earnestness, a strong work ethic, a drive to succeed. I want them to have a thousand, a million, a billion moments just like that one. I want them to remember when the world was new, when love was all you needed, when you could find beauty in a backyard weed, when everything you dreamed of really could come true. I wish for them those moments when life can’t get any better than it is right at that second, and I hope I can be a part of those moments.

5 comments:

Amanda Lea said...

Andrea....thanks for making me bawl my eyes out first thing this morning. The kids are looking at me like I'm losing my mind. I have a million moments like that. I can remember Cozmo doing a toe-touch in the middle of Senior hall because we had no water and go to go home. Do you remember that one? I remember riding around in the wagon on the back of my Papa's tractor...it was the most fun I had ever had. I remember 'the fight' in high school...that's something stupid that will stay in my mind forever. Unfortunately after all of the head injuries I've had there are a lot of little things that are gone from my memory. But every once in a while I have a little flashback...and I am taken back to a very specific moment...and it brings a smile to my face. Thanks for this blog...you made my day! :)
P.S. Crockett has your blog ID :)

TwinMommyLawchick said...

In that case, Becky Crockett is the biggest _____ in the world. Fill in the blank with whatever word you choose! LOL.

No cyber stalking by responsible educators please.

supermommysquared said...

I love your blog and it is so true! It never ceases to amaze me how much my kids fill my heart with love and joy. I can't believe how lucky I am to be their mom and to share the moments when they discover the world with them. I only hope that I do them justice as their mom.

Jonathan's Mommy said...

Andrea, that blog was amazing and I have tears rolling down my face as a I type this! I completely second every sentiment that you expressed! I get so caught up in trying to provide for Jonathan materially that I sometimes forget that the beauty of childhood innonence is what I need to nurture and protect. I am happy every day that I am blessed with Jonathan's laugh and his amazing smile.

Thank you for the reminder of how lucky we are to be parents!!

Kimberly said...

Awwww....you know how to sum it up for everyone. And just think there are a billion more good memories yet to be made!

 
Free blog template and graphic design by Design Eleven. Copyright 2008 and beyond.